Friday, October 15, 2010

Toys & Heaven

Last night, my wife had planned a Girls Night Out at our house.

Now, if you are like me, when you hear the words "Girls Night Out," images come flying to mind of women chatting a hundred miles an hour, watching cry-your-eyes-out-movies, discussing the latest good read, and eating piles of chocolate. Well, this girls night out was no different.

Of course, that is no safe plae for a husband - of his three kiddos.

So I did what any good dad would do - I took them to parooze the aisle of Target.

















Now, I hope you aren't like my wife and are distracted by the children standing in the cart that you miss the cuteness of this photo.

I love this photo for so many reasons.

First of all, I love that it provides me with a visual memory of a great evening. I love when I get to spend time with my family. Besides my relationship with Jesus, they are the most important things on the list. Hanging out with my three children is one of the most rewaring responsibilities I have ever been given. I am thankful everyday for God giving me the divine priviledge of being their daddy.

Secondly, I love the awe-struck looks upon all of their faces. They stand in wonder and amazement as their eyes take in all the colors and beauty of the new toys just within an arm's reach.

I couldn't help but imagine what my face might look like someday, as I embrace Heaven and an eternity with my heavenly Father. I imagine it might look much like my kids faces tonight. Standing, quietly, soaking it all in. Wanting to scream and yell at the top of my lungs and shout for joy at the beauty of it all.

My kids had seen commercials for these very toys. They have flipped through Toys'R'Us catalogs, and made their Christmas wishlists. But there is nothing like seeing them, upclose, to truly appreciate how wonderful those toys really are.

I have read descriptions of Heaven in the Bible, and imagined what it might look like. I have seen paintings from world-renowned artists depicting their prognosis of Heaven. And yet, until we reach it, we will never full know. Never fully comprehend. Never fully understand what God has so perfectly prepared for us.

All I do know, is my heart aches for the day when I will meet my Maker face to face and truly understand His great love for me. In the meantime, though, I will keep enjoying nights like tonight and doing my best to raise three children that will change this world for Christ.

No comments: